My travel schedule for work had me away from home on Mother’s Day this year, so I decided to bring along a few things to try make my special day in a hotel feel a little more restful and relaxing.
I already try to include items on my packing list to make the time away from home more comfortable. For example, I have gotten in the habit of bringing slippers and comfy clothes for lounging at the end of the day. I like to bring art from my kids to decorate my hotel room. I also bring along a book or supplies for hobbies that I have been trying to find time for at home. (Work trips are always busy, but I sometimes find myself with more free time on a work trip than I do at home with two little ones and a never ending to do list.) Anyway, I did all of the things that I usually do, but I wanted to try to step up my game a little bit for this one. I got to thinking about what things I could take along that would be easy to pack and would also make myself feel a little bit pampered while at the hotel on a work trip.
So, here’s what I’ve got to turn your hotel room into your own personal spa!
- Turn your hotel bathroom into a steam room. Turn off the vent fan and run the shower hot until the room gets nice and steamy. Wrap up in a robe or soft towel and let yourself relax. (Extra things to pack: nothing!)
- Soak your feet in an Epsom salt bath. Fill the tub a few inches deep and add about 1/2 cup Epsom salts. Relax and soak your feet. (Extra things to pack: small container of Epsom salts)
- Bring along a bath bomb for a total body soak. (Extra things to pack: bath bomb or just use your Epsom salts)
- Treat yourself to a facial mask. Individually wrapped sheet masks are super easy to pack and can leave your skin feeling fresh and moisturized. Do be careful not to try something brand new if you have sensitive skin. Waking up to irritated skin before a presentation or client meeting would not be ideal! (Extra things to pack: sheet mask)
- Treat your eyes with an eye mask. You can buy special eye masks or you can use the free tea bags that are with the coffee maker in most hotels. Steep the tea as normal and then let the tea bags cool. Place over your eyes and relax. (Extra things to pack: nothing!)
- Bring along an essential oil to enjoy some nice aroma therapy. Add a few drops in your foot soak or put a few drops on a cotton ball and let the scent fill the air. (Extra things to pack: container of essential oil)
- DIY massage. There are quite a few tools (foam roller, massage balls, kneading massage pillow, etc.) that you can use to help relax your muscles. Bring one along and let your muscles relax after a busy day of travel. (Extra things to pack: massage balls or whatever you have)
- Make your trip a fitness retreat. Schedule time to get to the hotel gym every day and/or do yoga in your hotel room (there are some great guided yoga practices on youtube). (Extra things to pack: fitness gear if it’s not already on your packing list)
A couple of other things to consider packing (or picking up after you arrive) that may help you feel a little pampered are: flowers for your room, fancy chocolates, or a nice bottle of wine or beer.
What things have you done to try to make your hotel room more comfortable while on a trip?